||Hornos de la
Peña cave was scientificaly discovered on October 27,
1905, by Mr. Hermilio Alcalde del Rio. The cavity is
located in the hillside of a mountain close to the
village of Tarriba in San Felices de Buelna.
The first room, iluminated by the outer light,
gets open from a lime arch. In this room, the figures of
an acephalous bison, nowadys disapeared, a horse, and some non-figurative lines were found, all
of it engraved with deep trace. This goup constitutes one
of the first artistic evidences in Cantabria,
chronologicaly fit in the Gravettian, in the same horizon
as Chufín and Venta Laperra.
Inside, we find a second group formed
by about 35 animal figures such as horses, bisons,
aurochs, goats, deers, etc. Besides of these figures, one
shake-shaped and one anthropomorphic figure are also
represented. Practicaly the totality of these figures are
made with different engraving techniques. "Macarroni"
have also been documented: series of parallel lines drawn
on a clayey wall with the fingers or with instrument of
roundedtip. The stylistic chronology places the moment of
carrying out this interior engravings in the initial
Magdalenien in the ancient IV style.