||In 1952, Mr.
Alfredo García Lorenzo , engineer, during the works to
facilitate the access and visits to the discovered caves
Pasiega and El
this mountain convinced of the existance of more
cavities. Thanks to the indications of a forest guard, he
localized the entrance of what at that moment became the
third cavern with palaeolithic parietal art in the
Castillo Mountain. At the beginning, it was known as the
" Cueva de los osos" (Bears Cave),
because of the bear remains found on the surface.
Subsequently, exploring the cave, 20 coins minted in 1563
were localized in a well, this is why it came to be known
as "Las Monedas" cave.
All the parietal evidences located in the cave
are made in black linear trace. Between the
representations, we find many horses, an
incomplete figure of a bison in vertical position, one
hind, one bear of the caverns,goats reindeers,one
mustelid, and animals difficult to identify, which have
not been clasified in any species. Moreover there is a
group of non-figurative representations.
Recently, a chronologic investigation
has taken place. This proyect, inside the "Documentacion
del arte ruprestre en el sector central de la costa
cantabrica. Una evaluación de técnicas de trabajo",
was leaded by A. Moure Romanillo, C. González Sainz, V.
Cabrera Valdés and F. Bernaldo de Quirós. The dates,
obtained from samples taken from the figure of a cáprido
and a horse, are of 12170 ± 110 and 11630 ± 120 for the
first one and 11950 ± 120 for the second one. These
dates confirm the stilistic chronology and the synchrony
of the group, which would have been made between 12390
and 11710 BP.